Spousal Work Permit

Spouses or common-law partners of the international students may be eligible for open work permits if:

  • They are a full-time student at a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university or college d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec.

  • A private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently, only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify) or;

  • A Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.

  • They have a valid study permit. Work permits are valid for the same period of time as your study permit.




Under the following cases minor children of international students do not need a study permit to study in Canada:

  • Minor children attending kindergarten;

  • Minor children who are refugees or refugee claimants, or whose parents are refugees or refugee claimants; and

  • Minor children who are already in Canada with parents who are allowed to work or study in Canada, and who want to attend preschool, primary or secondary school.


Important notes:

  • Common law partners or spouses (with valid open work permit) of international students do not require a job offer or a Labour Market Opinion from Service Canada.

  • If minor children of international students reach the age of 18 or 19 while studying then they must apply for a new study permit if they wish to continue their studies in Canada.